This book introduces a new style of wood-fired oven to the English speaking world. The design is unique because the Barrel Oven is hot and ready to bake in just 15 minutes after lighting a fire. Check out this Guide for Making a Versatile and Efficient Wood-fired Oven!
By Max and Eva Edleson; 96 pages, color.
The tools for a sustainable future continue to grow! In this book, Max and Eva Edleson offer a comprehensive guide for planning and building a practical, efficient and affordable wood-fired oven. The Barrel Oven offers surprising convenience because it is hot and ready to bake in within 15-20 minutes and is easy to maintain at a constant temperature.
It can be the seed for a small-scale baking enterprise or the heart of a communityâ€™s wood-fired cuisine. All kinds of food can be baked in the Barrel Oven including bread, roasts, pizza, cookies cakes, pies, casseroles and stews. Follow this step-by-step guide to transform local, low-cost materials and the sunâ€™s energy into good food.
Barrel Oven Book Highlights Include:
- Step-by-step instructions about how to build this style of oven.
- Photos and drawings that demonstrate the building process and completed ovens.
- General discussions about siting and location for outdoor kitchens.
- Guidance in deciding which kind of wood-fired oven is best for you.
- Interviews with people who have been cooking in Barrel Ovens for many years.
- Recipes for great dishes to be cooked in your Barrel Oven!
“Eva and Max Edleson are highly skilled both as builders and as bakers, but what really shines through in this book is their excellence as communicators. They clearly present varied methods and materials, with very helpful discussions of the pros and cons of each option. Other buildersâ€™ voices really round out the presentation. This is a book that will likely inspire you to build your own oven, and make you feel like you have experienced mentors walking you step-by-step through the process.”
â€œMax and Eva Edleson offer up this barrel oven as a marriage of native, natural materials with industrial â€œwaste.â€ The result is a beautiful and useful appliance that combines the appeal and advantages of wood fire with the quick heat of an American industrialized kitchen.
â€˜What?! A wood-fired oven that can bake bread 20 minutes after you light the fire?â€™
Yup. And it can be cheap, too, especially if you can do simple metal work yourself. And your kids can help you do the mud work.
The more people get interested in wood-fired cooking, sustainability, and traditional ways of eating, the more important it is to have options, examples, and choices. Hereâ€™s a great contribution for back-yard bakers serving family and friends, primitive out-back chefs cooking for large groups and gatherings, or a small, wood-fired business in need of a versatile oven. Good stuff!â€
- Firespeaking’s Barrel Oven Kit
- An Excellent Article by Make Magazine that excerpts and summarizes the book.
- Wood Fired Ovens by the Authors
- Hot From the Oven! – An archive about do-it-yourself wood-fired ovens.
- Build Your Own Earth Oven – The classic on how-to-build adobe-style domed ovens.
- Max & Eva Edleson
- Handprint Press
- 7″ x 10″
- Page Count: