"The definitive book on how to build an adobe oven," it will encourage and inspire your native creativity, in oven- and bread-making both, passed on via true artisan traditions. Verified by readers who have gone on to build their own bread-businesses or homes! Over 75,000 copies in print.
$15.00 — $17.95
$10.00 — $15.00
You save $2.95 — $5.00 (16% — 33%)!
Fire — and ovens — are at the heart of human culture. In ancient Rome, “hearth” and “fireplace” were known by the Latin word for fire, related to our word focus. The focus is the center where, properly, we come together — for warmth, food, stories, company, and hospitality. Simple ovens made of mud provide that kind of traditional fire — with surprising results. Community happens. Learning happens. All in addition to good bread, pizza, and countless other recipes, new and old.
This book began as a pamphlet for participants in hands on (and shoes off!) workshops where small groups of folks would come together for a day or three to build an oven together. The resulting beauty and community — as well as bread — inspired the author to try and put a workshop between the covers of a book. We invite you to take off your shoes and jump into the mud:
- completely re-written, updated, expanded, and re-organized text
- simplified steps to a super-insulated oven that holds heat longer and burns less fuel
- bread how-to by Hannah Field, former professional baker for wood fired and organic bakeries on both sides of the Atlantic (also the author’s spouse).
- foreword by Alan Scott, grandfather of wood-fired ovens and artisan bread, co-author (with Dan Wing) of The Bread Builders;
- 8-page color gallery of beautiful sculpted ovens;
- innovations and variations: mobile ovens, “rocket” ovens, hay-box cookers, and more.
Rave reviews on Amazon (4.7 out of 5 stars): “This Book Gives You Courage,” “practical and well conceived,” “user-friendly,” “easy to read,” “detailed and complete,” “best book on the topic,” “one of the best building project books around”
Other Reviews & Praise:
“Brief, brisk, artful, and well-written….explains the principles of breadmaking with a few deft strokes…. Graceful, well-detailed, and empowering throughout.” – Permaculture Activist, August, 2004
“There are really only three books for the would-be bread oven builder. If you get only one, get Kiko’s…” – John Connell, founder, Yestermorrow design/build school, architect, author
“…inspired creativity combined with traditional wisdom….Get a copy and build yourself an earth bread oven. It’s that simple.” - www.walnutbooks.com
“…enjoyable, down-to-earth and sensible….his instructions are clear as rainwater, his advice…intelligent and sound….” - Petit Propos Culinaires
“…Appealing to a diverse audience of bakers, outdoor cooks, traditional crafts persons, and…homeschoolers looking for a project…should be part of most public library collections.” – Library Journal
“…The illustrations really make it accessible, and the information is such a good blend of science and love.” – Marc Peter Keane, Landscape Architect, author, Japanese Garden Design
“Your book is an excellent guide to building an earthen oven and lots more…. My son-in-law just finished an Italian bread and pizza oven [that] cost $4,000. I told him I will soon build a horno of adobe for less than $100.” – Clint T. Colorado
- Hot From the Oven! – An archive about do-it-yourself wood-fired ovens.
- Build Your Own Barrel Oven – A new book about a quick-firing hybrid oven for bakers in need of a versatile, multi-functional oven with the capacity to feed large crowds at short notice.
Build Your Own Earth Oven is distributed to the book trade by Chelsea Green.
- kiko denzer
- hand print press
- 3d edition, revised, expanded
- paperback or pdf
- page count:
- 132 pages