"The definitive book on how to build an adobe oven." Many readers have taken it's practical and creative advice to build their own ovens, bread-businesses -- and even their own earthen homes! "Empowering." Over 75,000 copies in print.
$15.00 — $17.95
$10.00 — $15.00
You save $2.95 — $5.00 (16% — 33%)!
This book began as a pamphlet for participants in hands on (and shoes off!) workshops where small groups of folks would come together for a day or three to build an oven together. The resulting beauty and community — as well as bread — inspired the author to try and put a workshop between the covers of a book. We invite you to take off your shoes and jump into the mud:
- updated, expanded, and completely revised text
- new, super-insulated design holds heat longer and burns less fuel
- new simplified guide for making naturally leavened, whole-grain sourdough hearth loaves, by Hannah Field, former professional baker for wood fired and organic bakeries on both sides of the Atlantic.
- foreword by Alan Scott, grandfather of wood-fired ovens and artisan bread, co-author (with Dan Wing) of The Bread Builders;
- 8-page color gallery of beautiful sculpted ovens, many built by readers!
- mobile ovens, “rocket” ovens, hay-box cookers, and more.
Rave reviews on Amazon (4.7 out of 5 stars): “This Book Gives You Courage,” “practical and well conceived,” “user-friendly,” “easy to read,” “detailed and complete,” “best book on the topic,” “one of the best building project books around”
“Brief, brisk, artful, and well-written….explains the principles of breadmaking with a few deft strokes…. Graceful, well-detailed, and empowering throughout.” – Permaculture Activist, August, 2004
“There are really only three books for the would-be bread oven builder. If you get only one, get Kiko’s…” – John Connell, founder, Yestermorrow design/build school, architect, author
“…inspired creativity combined with traditional wisdom….Get a copy and build yourself an earth bread oven. It’s that simple.” - www.walnutbooks.com
“…enjoyable, down-to-earth and sensible….his instructions are clear as rainwater, his advice…intelligent and sound….” - Petit Propos Culinaires
“…Appealing to a diverse audience of bakers, outdoor cooks, traditional crafts persons, and…homeschoolers looking for a project…should be part of most public library collections.” – Library Journal
“…The illustrations really make it accessible, and the information is such a good blend of science and love.” – Marc Peter Keane, Landscape Architect, author, Japanese Garden Design
“Your book is an excellent guide to building an earthen oven and lots more…. My son-in-law just finished an Italian bread and pizza oven [that] cost $4,000. I told him I will soon build a horno of adobe for less than $100.” – Clint T. Colorado
- Hot From the Oven! – An archive about do-it-yourself wood-fired ovens.
- Build Your Own Barrel Oven – A new book about a quick-firing hybrid oven for bakers in need of a versatile, multi-functional oven with the capacity to feed large crowds at short notice.
Build Your Own Earth Oven is distributed to the book trade by Chelsea Green.
- kiko denzer
- hand print press
- 3d edition, revised, expanded
- paperback or pdf
- page count:
- 132 pages