"The definitive book on how to build an adobe oven." Many readers have taken it's practical and creative advice to build their own ovens, bread-businesses -- and even their own earthen homes! "Empowering." Over 75,000 copies in print.
$15.00 — $17.95
$10.00 — $15.00
You save $2.95 — $5.00 (16% — 33%)!
This book began as a pamphlet for participants in hands on (and shoes off!) workshops where small groups of folks would come together for a day or three to build an oven together. The resulting beauty and community â€” as well as bread â€” inspired the author to try and put a workshop between the covers of a book. We invite you to take off your shoes and jump into the mud:
- updated, expanded, and completely revised text
- new, super-insulated design holds heat longer and burns less fuel
- new simplified guide for making naturally leavened, whole-grain sourdough hearth loaves, by Hannah Field, former professional baker for wood fired and organic bakeries on both sides of the Atlantic.
- foreword by Alan Scott, grandfather of wood-fired ovens and artisan bread, co-author (with Dan Wing) of The Bread Builders;
- 8-page color gallery of beautiful sculpted ovens, many built by readers!
- mobile ovens, â€œrocketâ€ ovens, hay-box cookers, and more.
Rave reviews on Amazon (4.7 out of 5 stars): â€œThis Book Gives You Courage,â€ â€œpractical and well conceived,â€ â€œuser-friendly,â€ â€œeasy to read,â€ â€œdetailed and complete,â€ â€œbest book on the topic,â€ â€œone of the best building project books aroundâ€
â€œBrief, brisk, artful, and well-writtenâ€¦.explains the principles of breadmaking with a few deft strokesâ€¦. Graceful, well-detailed, and empowering throughout.â€ â€“ Permaculture Activist, August, 2004
â€œThere are really only three books for the would-be bread oven builder. If you get only one, get Kikoâ€™sâ€¦â€ â€“ John Connell, founder, Yestermorrow design/build school, architect, author
â€œâ€¦inspired creativity combined with traditional wisdomâ€¦.Get a copy and build yourself an earth bread oven. Itâ€™s that simple.â€ – www.walnutbooks.com
â€œâ€¦enjoyable, down-to-earth and sensibleâ€¦.his instructions are clear as rainwater, his adviceâ€¦intelligent and soundâ€¦.â€ – Petit Propos Culinaires
â€œâ€¦Appealing to a diverse audience of bakers, outdoor cooks, traditional crafts persons, andâ€¦homeschoolers looking for a projectâ€¦should be part of most public library collections.â€ â€“ Library Journal
â€œâ€¦The illustrations really make it accessible, and the information is such a good blend of science and love.â€ â€“ Marc Peter Keane, Landscape Architect, author, Japanese Garden Design
â€œYour book is an excellent guide to building an earthen oven and lots moreâ€¦. My son-in-law just finished an Italian bread and pizza oven [that] cost $4,000. I told him I will soon build a horno of adobe for less than $100.â€ â€“ Clint T. Colorado
- Hot From the Oven! – An archive about do-it-yourself wood-fired ovens.
- Build Your Own Barrel Oven – A new book about a quick-firing hybrid oven for bakers in need of a versatile, multi-functional oven with the capacity to feed large crowds at short notice.
Build Your Own Earth Oven is distributed to the book trade by Chelsea Green.
- kiko denzer
- hand print press
- 3d edition, revised, expanded
- paperback or pdf
- page count:
- 132 pages