For the most up-to-date announcements of upcoming workshops and other events, please add your name to our mailing list.
To contact one of our authors about leading a workshop or giving a presentationÂ at your home, school, or workplace, please contact them directly by going to their author page.
For information about finding or filling an oven workshop near your home, please visit the oven connection.
KIKOâ€™S 2012 SCHEDULE
- June 2-3: oven demos and stories about earth and fire at the Mother Earth News Fair in Puyallup WA.
- July 23-27: Echoes in Time, near Salem, OR: green wood carving (Kiko), plus outstanding instructors in everything from braintanned buckskin, to felting, to bows and arrows, blacksmithing, basketry, and more. Great for families.
- August 13-17: Yurt building with Kiko, part of the Aprovecho Instituteâ€™s Sustainable Shelter Workshop Series. (the yurt is mud-covered basket built of sticks and string! For a complete write-up, see the yurt story belowâ€¦)
- September 13-15: oven build and lecture at the Kneading West Conference in Mt. Vernon Washington (keynotes include Andrew Whitley, the UKâ€™s leading wood-fired organic baker, author, and real-bread advocate, and Naomi Duguid, a well-known cook-book author who has visited traditional cooks and bakers around the world.)
- TBA earthen floor: At some point, weâ€™re going back toÂ the yurt we built with Bill CoperthwaiteÂ at the Ancient Arts Center, to play with mud and lay an earthen floor in that building. If youâ€™d like to get in on that, let me know and Iâ€™ll make sure to notify you; in Lobster Valley, OR.
MAX AND EVAâ€™S 2012 SCHEDULE
- May 25- June 3: The Village Building Convergence in Portland, OR
An annual ten-day placemaking festival and free hands-on natural building workshops! Large scale cob sculpture, natural plasters, clay paints, and phase 3 of of Portlandâ€™s first code-approved straw-clay retrofit (at SE 8th & Sharret).
- June 16-17: Build a Barrel Oven at Sweet Briar Farm in Sebastopol, CA
Sebastian and Jeanna are getting married! This oven will help feed wedding guests, family, and friends. Convert mud and an old 55-gallon barrel into a beautiful, versatile wood-fired oven; bake delicious bread and more.
- July 7- 15: Complete Cob and Remodeling with Cob, Bandon, OR Building with cob: from foundations and walls, to windows, doors, arches, roofs, details, shelving, furniture, floors and more! A 9-day intensive covering all aspects of cob building and retrofitting with straw-clay.
- July 16-17: Natural Plasters, Paints & Pigments Workshop, Bandon, OR
Mix and apply earthen plasters and paint; traditional methods to make your walls beautiful!
- July 30- Sept 14: Aprovechoâ€™s Sustainable Shelter Workshop Series, Cottage Grove, OR
A 7 week course to empower you to design/build/renovate your own home using simple techniques and vernacular materials â€“ from the ground up!
- August 25-26: Oven Building Workshop at Wise Acres Farm, Pleasant Hill, OR
Learn to build and use an earth oven (cook anything!) at an amazing farm.
- August 26- Sept 3: Advanced Permaculture Course in Appropriate Tech, Cottage Grove, OR
Develop a more sustainable and resilient home and hearth: in-depth, lower-energy approaches to home heating and cooking, refrigeration, food storage, water catchment, hot water, greywater, humanure composting, bicycle powered machines, and energy-efficiency retrofits using natural materials.
- June & Oct, 8 weekends: Urban Permaculture Design Course, Portland, OR
Covers food systems, forest gardens, natural building, foraging, plant propagation and grafting, small scale energy, soil remediation, water harvesting, community mapping, and collaborative design.