Ovens and spoons: this season’s workshop schedule, in process…
• March 23-25, I will be teaching an oven workshop w/Ianto Evans in Coquille. This is a very special opportunity. The Cob Cottage Company site in Coquille, OR, fondly known as “cobville,” is a wood-fired, hand-built earthen village in the temperate rainforest developed over the past 20 years by Ianto Evans, his wife Linda, and a widespread family of natural builders, permaculturists, and pyromaniacs. Ianto and Linda co-wrote The Hand Sculpted House; Ianto has decades of design and building experience on six continents. I learned about earthen building from Ianto and have taught several other worshops at Cobville. They are always much more than just an educational experience. We warm ourselves on and with rocket-fired benches and a variety of mass heaters, live and walk in a unique and extraordinarily diverse forest, eat good food (mostly out of the garden), and share good stories. The dates are Friday, March 23, 2018 to Sunday, March 25, 2018. Cost is $360, and includes all meals, and free camping. For more information, see the Cob Cottage Company website, or call 541-396-1825.
• April 5-8, Intensive workshop in tool-making and wood-carving, at Aprovecho Institute in Cottage Grove.
• April 29 – May 5, The Buckeye Gathering, I’ll be spoon-carving; others will be hide-tanning, fire-making, flint-snapping, and everything else
• May 8-14, I’ll be teaching a full week of greenwood projects at the post Buckeye pathways event: spoons, bowls, shrink pots, the lathe (foot-powered), decorative and sculptural work, tools, techniques, etc.. There may also be possibilities for tool-making w/Bryce Wood, a great smith who uses simple, minimal technology to make metal tools.
• June? Spoon carving workshops, some in Portland, OR, some in Corvallis. Or at your place? Holler if you’d like to set up a class…
• July 22-28, spoon-carving at Echoes-in-Time
• I’ll post updates as needed
I’ve been adding some things to the youtube channel.